Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Breastfeeding

I read about so many benefits of breastfeeding so when I got pregnant I promised myself that I would breastfeed my baby for as long as I can. It not only helps you lose pregnancy weight, they also say the child will not be sickly. This is something that is so important, to have a healthy baby. I was only able to breastfed Nichos for 1 month and it was a mix feeding. Maybe that is why Nichos is sort of sickly. He gets cough and colds monthly.

As I read in a site about the importance of breastfeeding: "There are many benefits of breastfeeding, for the mother, some of these include; promoting a healthy bond between the mother and baby, decreasing the risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer as well helping the nursing mother to loose weight after the baby is born. For the baby, the benefits of being breastfed include; decreased chance of developing urinary tract infections, a higher I.Q than babies who are fed formula and less risk of developing type 1 diabetes, to name a few."

I am proud to say that I have been breastfeeding Nichole since day 1. At first, it was so frustrating as I thought I did not have enough supply of milk but eventually as days go by the milk supply increased. I also express my milk and put it in the freezer. This would be for days when I have to go out so Nichole would still have supply of breastmilk. And of course I am a working mom and would return to work in July so I really need to have enough supply of breastmilk stored for Nichole.

I hope I will be able to keep my goal to continue to breastfeed my baby Nichole. It is a personal choice that I have made. It not only has many health benefits for the mother and baby, we are also able to save money from not buying formula.

0 comments: